Travel can be medicine for the soul. There are few things quite as amazing as packing a bag and heading out to a new destination but it can also be exhausting and overwhelming. Some of the challenges we encounter can be easily avoided with proper planning and foreknowledge.
To help you overcome some of the travel related challenges, I will be sharing essential tips for staying healthy while travelling.
Photo by Shane McKnight
- Sleep: Travel can be harsh on the body. When we travel or are on the move, sometimes in the excitement we tend to ignore sleep. We must learn to listen to our bodies. Enough sleep is required to be mentally & physically ready for the adventure.
Photo by Whitney Wright
- Eat Breakfast: Skipping breakfast is a bad idea. There are several ways to have breakfast on the go if your schedule is tight. Whatever you do, don’t start the day on an empty stomach. It is the most important meal of the day for a reason.
Photo by Jez Timms
- Hydrate: Drink water. Sometimes when we are on the move, it is not convenient to keep drinking water. Public restrooms aren’t always ideal and don’t come by easily. But your body needs water nonetheless so please drink up.
Photo by Yoann Boyer
- Wash hands frequently: Always wash hands when on the move. When travelling, we are bound to come in contact with loads of people and surfaces some of which could be contaminated. As often as possible, try and wash your hands. Also, pack wet wipes and hand sanitizers for occasions were hand-washing isn’t practical.
Photo by Adam Wilson
- Protect your Skin: Take out time for proper research before you leave for a destination. Pack the appropriate clothings you’ll be needing to protect your skin. If you are going to be in an environment that has a lot of insects, pack an insect repellent cream. Also, no matter what you do, don’t skimp on the sunscreen.
Photo by Ive Erhard
- Stock up on healthy snacks: Sometimes, our host/hotel might not have the appropriate meal plan that we require at certain times. When you stock up on healthy snacks, you can always use them as a substitute to avoid skipping meals.
Photo by Yamon Figurs
- Sneak in work outs: When exploring new places, it is easy to sneak in work outs by walking everywhere you have to go.
Photo by Pina Messina
- Take your vitamins: Keep your immune system in top shape and keep your energy up by supplementing meals with vitamins
Photo by Rawpixel
- Listen to other travelers: It is likely that you will meet other travelers who have toured the route you are presently on. Ask for helpful advice and you are sure to get a lot of helps and hacks to ease your trip.
u Photo by Tran Mau Tri Tam
- Maintain a healthy diet: It is easy to over eat when you are on the move. Practice eating smaller meals through out the day to ensure you maintain a healthy diet.
Photo by Seth Doyle
- Wash yourself clean: It goes without saying, regular showers are imperative when you are on the move. A lot of germs and virus tend to cling to your clothes and skin during the course of the day as you explore. Make it a habit to wash yourself clean at the end of each day.
I hope you find this helpful and I hope you find time to strike off every destination on your bucket list. Happy travels…xxx