We live in a fast-paced world and it is becoming increasingly easier to get lost in the hobble. One minute you know exactly who you are and where you are going, next thing you know, 7 months has gone by and you are not even entirely sure where you are with your life.
Okay I may or may not have just given an excerpt from my life…..
Anyway, most times we don’t even realize what is happening, the changes are often subtle and easy to overlook. Until enough time has passed and everything becomes impossible to ignore. Now you are sitting down feeling sad and wondering where all the time went.
Studies have shown that people are happier and healthier when they live more intentionally, regardless of their economic or social stand. They also tend to be twice more successful. The importance of living intentionally and deliberately cannot be overstated.
I struggle with being intentional on a day to day basis but the good news is; every day I get better at it.
So, I am sharing a couple hard truths I had to tell myself. I find they make it easier to be more deliberate and intentional with my life.
- Realizing that life is a conundrum of the choices we make: This is something I – and I think we all – hear very often but sometimes goes over my head. The message gets lost because of how often I hear it. But it is as simple and clear now as it was always meant to be. The life we have is a product of all the choices we make. Finally digesting this and allowing it to become part of my being, was a major key and forward step to being deliberate and intentional with my life.
- Understanding the concept of cause and effect: Which was really the logical next step once I had grasped the concept of life as a product of the choices I make. I have to make choices, I have to take steps, I have to get the ball rolling. While at it, it is paramount that I never forget that my actions – and inaction – all have consequences. It helps me prepare accordingly.
- Examining your surrounding and yourself: No man is an island and life can not be lived in a vacuum. I am learning the importance of taking a step back to properly examine the people I let into my life. The people you surround yourself with form a current and determine the direction the river that is your life flows. It is quite simple, you will have a difficult time “flowing” upstream if the people in your life are pulling you in a different direction.
- Deciding to live for yourself: I know sometimes it is easier to just give in and do what others want; give in. Especially when the things you want are so far off from what everyone else wants. But here’s the thing, everyone gets just one shot. So I try to live life for myself, there is no point wasting my only shot trying to live on the terms that other people have laid down. Especially considering the fact that everyone is really just doing the best they can.
- Set your goals and remain focused on them: Setting goals is one of the best ways I have introduced intentional living into my life. They help move us forward when they are in line with our purpose. It is also one of the best ways I remind myself of what is most important and stay on track.
- Never stop learning: No one person knows it all, no one person has all the answers. Successful people are those with a constant curiosity and the humility to ask questions and to learn. So never stop learning; from others and from previous versions of yourself.
Here’s the truth; There truly isn’t any cut and dry method to anything in life but it is imperative that we don’t just drift thru life. Live intentionally and on purpose.
I hope this message helps you and I hope you remember always remember that change is inevitable but growth is intentional.